Professional Mold Removal Ottawa
HomeStars Award Winner: Best of 2020 (4 Time Winner)
Satisfied Customers: HomeStars customer rating of 10/10 (51 Reviews)
Experience: Over 20 years of industry experience
Service: Fast, friendly and reliable service
Superior Training: Member of the American Bio-Recovery Association and IICRC Certified
Insurance: Full Hazmat Insurance, WSIB
Black Mold Removal
Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is both unsightly and a serious health risk for humans. This toxic matter is commonly found on household materials with moisture exposure such as drywall, insulation, carpet or subflooring. If you come across black mold on your property, it’s recommended to hire a specialist immediately to keep your home safe and your family members healthy. The spores released by black mold can cause serious harm to humans when ingested or inhaled and for this reason, it is best not to tackle black mold removal on your own. If you are looking for black mold removal in Ottawa contact us now and let our specialists at Healthy Home Centre take care of it for you!
Understanding Mold Removal
With the amount of wet weather that we experience here in Ottawa, it’s common to find mold lingering around the home. In a building, molds and fungi are usually found growing on wood, drywall, plaster/gypsum, upholstery, fabric, wallpaper, drapery, ceiling tiles, and carpeting.
The key factor is moisture because molds and fungi need it to grow. As a result, molds and fungi are most often found in basements, kitchens and bathrooms.
In modern buildings, moisture may be present as the result of:
Leaks in the roof/basement or plumbing
Sealed buildings that do not allow excess moisture to escape.
Sources such as cooking facilities, showers, bathtubs, etc.
How Does Mold Effect Your Health?
The presence of mould does not always means that health problems will occur. However, for some people the inhalation of the mould, fragments of the moulds, or spores can lead to health problems or make certain health conditions worse.
In addition, many of these moulds make “mycotoxins“. Mycotoxins are metabolites or by-products from the moulds that have been identified as being toxic to humans. These toxins can slowly wear down the immune system and can lead to allergic or respiratory problems.
Moulds can also exacerbate (make worse) the symptoms of allergies including wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath as well as nasal congestion and eye irritation. People who are immuno-suppressed, or recovering from surgery are usually more susceptible to health problems from moulds.
In general, the most commonly reported symptoms include:
- Eye, nose, and throat irritation
- Cough or congestion
- Aggravation of asthma
- Difficulty concentrating
Mold Testing & Mold Removal
A visual inspection is the most reliable method of identifying mould problems. The most common signs of water damage will be discolouration and staining. Moulds will most often appear as dark spots, stains or patches.
If possible, look behind duct work and walls (a mirror will help).
Also look for standing water – puddles of water around and under sinks, tubs, drip pans for dehumidifiers, air conditioners, and refrigerators that can be contributing to the moisture in the building and provide conditions where mould can grow.
Surface sampling can be done by scraping or swiping suspected spots if needed for medical evaluation but this should be done by a trained professional. Air monitoring is also possible, but it is not considered routine. (New York City Department of Health, 2008)
Monitoring devices are available which can measure the moisture level of drywall, wood, etc. These devices will help indicate whether or not moisture levels exists that would promote the growth of mould.
Passionate About His Work!
We were very concerned when we found mould in our basement while removing insulation, and even more concerned when we realized that the mould spores had been inadvertently spread throughout our home.
Thank goodness for Gabriel and his team who were beyond amazing. Gabriel was patient when explaining the mould remediation work to us, and throughout the process he was available to answer questions and address concerns. To say they were thorough is a real understatement. They cleaned the home from top to bottom using only cleaners that were safe for use with our young daughter who has chronic breathing problems and asthma.
The bulk of the work was done in our basement, where they cleaned and isolated our HVAC while safely removed the remaining insulation, spray-treating the studs and joists, and wiped down or hepa vacuumed all of our surfaces and basement storage. They even went so far as to individually wipe each DVD case.
They were respectful of our space, they went above and beyond in their work, and most importantly the completion air testing showed that the air throughout our home was probably the cleanest it had ever been.
We would not hesitate to recommend them!